Monday, October 25, 2010

An Interview with Mr. Dumas

Today is Monday October 25th and today in the band program I managed to get an interview with our teacher Mr. Ed Dumas, this is what we found out.
1.Did you always want to be a band teacher?  Yes, since grade 9.


2.What schools did you go to as a child? Kindergarten: none, Grades 1-4: Northern Alberta, Grades 4-7: Glenwood Elementary, Grades 8-10: Westview Junior Secondary, Grades 11-12: Maple Ridge Secondary.


3.Were you good at music as a child?  Yes and no, I always understood music well, but I needed to overcome some physical challenges while playing trumpet.


4.How many schools do you work at? I have worked at almost every school in the district at one time or another.


5.How many kids are in the band program?  There are currently over 200 kids at 12 schools.


6.What do you do during the summer when students aren't at school?  I mostly REST, plus I do the Haney Music Camp and on holidays I go camping.


7.What is your favorite part of about teaching music?  I enjoy hearing the great improvements that students make.


8.What activities do you enjoy other than music?  I like curling, gardening and golf.


9.What instruments do you play?  My main instrument is trumpet. I can play most band instruments at least a little bit.


10.Should band teachers play many instruments?  Yes they should. Band teachers need to learn what is common between the instruments, which means they should have some experience on many instruments.


11.Are you planning on continuing to teach band for many more years?  YES I would also like to teach band teachers how to do this job.


12.I know you used to teach high school band, do you find elementary school band harder or easier to teach than high school band?  I think it is different. I used to teach more than just music at high school. Elementary school band is more focused on just band, but the students need more direct help.


13.How long have you been teaching band?  This year is my 25th year!


By Matthew  

No comments:

Post a Comment